Re: Nail embedments

Nels,

I fear the first question the plan checker asks you will be --- "do you have an ICC report number for this?". They will not understand your calculations.

I know a case where a steel braced frame designed according to the codes but unfortunately looked like one of those proprietary frames was rejected by an outside plan checker -- an engineer.

Good luck.
Aleces

"Nels Roselund, SE" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:

Table 4 of NER 272 provides design lateral strength values for face-nailed
single shear connections of 2x members; Tables 16 through 21 of NER 272
provides values for staple-fastened plywood shear walls. These seems to be
authoritative for the application that I have in mind. However, I
understand that there are Building Officials in CA who are reluctant to
consider the use of staples for retrofit shear panels. I will make some
sample calculations to see whether the NER 272 values are our of line with
the NDS. Are there concerns about staples for an application like this that
I should know about?

I will also use the NDS to make additional calculations to determine values
for connections to redwood mudsills using staples -- redwood framing lumber
is commonly found in old houses of CA.

Do you see any reason that staples should not be used for this application?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net