Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Beam Bearing Stiffeners[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Beam Bearing Stiffeners
- From: "Ricky Leblanc" <Rick.Leblanc(--nospam--at)halliburton.com>
- Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:13:48 -0600
- Disposition-notification-to: "Ricky Leblanc" <Rick.Leblanc(--nospam--at)halliburton.com>
Reference the AISC ASD, 9th edition:
Section K1.4 (web crippling) states that if stiffeners are provided and extend at least 1/2 web depth then Eqns K1-4 & K1-5 need not be checked.
In section K1.8 there is a sequence of statements saying "If required by Sect's K1.2, K1.3 or eqn K1-9, stiffeners need not extend more than 1/2 the depth of the web, except as follows:"
"If stiffeners are required by Sects. K1.4 or K1.6, the stiffeners shall be designed as axially compressed columns in accordance with sect E2 with an effective length = 0.75h, ...."
My question is this, if sections K1.3 indicates stiffener is need than is ½ depth fine and will it satisfy section K1.4. Or do I need also to check K1.4 and if eqn K1-4 or K1-5 indicated a stiffener is needed, do the comments in section K1.8 imply the need for a full depth stiffener to meet web crippling requirements?
For my case, stiffeners are required only for K1.3 or K1.4. The other sub-sections in Chapter K are either not applicable or indicate no stiffener required.
- Prev by Subject: Re: Baseplate Grouting
- Next by Subject: Beam Bearing Stiffeners
- Previous by thread: Re: Nail Embedments & Stapled shear panels
- Next by thread: Beam Bearing Stiffeners