From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake_watson(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent:
Wednesday, October 29, 2003 7:06 AM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Glulam Roof Girders in a Tilt-Up

I question the validity of adding straps to the bottom.  We talk about deformation compatibility often when we discuss seismic, what about the straps?  How much will the GLB need to deform before the nails or screws engage the strap?  However, that doesn't solve your problem.  I also second Bill's comment.  Make sure you are using the correct allowable stresses.  If necessary, you may even be able to regrade the dimensional lumber to improve your capacity.

One solution I used recently was to add kickers to the columns and reinforce the columns for bending.  You will have unbalanced loads, so you get moments in the columns.  The kickers can shorten the span of the GLB's.  Be careful, you create tension stress in the top and most simple-span GLB's have only half the tension capacity in the top as compared to the bottom.  You might also try creating moment continuity with the short GLB along with adding kickers to the columns.  But by the time you do all that, Patrick's idea of a new frame may make sense.

Best of luck,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT