From: Don Vickers [mailto:dgvgenie(--nospam--at)netscape.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 10:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Blind Fasteners for Structural Applications

I am trying to attach a vertical stiffener to the thin wall (12 ga) of a
22' dia silo, 50' above the ground.  The stiffener is a 1/4" thick
double angle carrying a vertical load of 10k to the silo wall by shear
through the fastener.  Access to the interior is undesirable, as is
welding.  I am specifying Huck BOM (Blind Oversize Mechanical) Fasteners :
(
http://www.huck.com/industrial/fasteners/med_hvy_duty_blindrivets/BOM/bom_in
tro.html
).
These are very similar to a blind rivet and are primarily used in
mechanical or transportation (rail car/truck body) applications.  I know
of no situations where these have been used in building structure
applications.

Has anyone experience with these fasteners - are they acceptable in this
application?  I would feel better with a bolt with ASTM specs and
resistance values for backup.

Is it acceptable to design as a bearing bolt.  They appear to work very
well at compressing the attached components together and hence work as a
slip-critical connection, but codes only make reference to A325 or A490
bolts for friction type connections.

Don Vickers