Re: steel formdeck as shearwall?

Harold,
If I understand the IBC 2000 correctly, I don’t think you would ever have SDC E or F in Alabama. According to footnote a on tables 1616.3(1) and 1616.3(2), the only times that you get into SDC E or F is when S1 is over 0.75. Looking at the map for S1 in figure 1615(2) , the highest S1 value I see is in Alabama is slightly over 0.15 (in the northwest corner), well below 0.75.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC

Sprague, Harold O. wrote:

John,

And I definitely would consider seismic.  Look at Barista's article in
Building Design and Construction, June 2003.  Look at the map of Alabama and
compare it to traditional "high" seismic states.  From about the mid point
of Alabama to the north you can be forced to a Category C.  The northern
portion can be in a Category D, E or even F according to the IBC 2000.
Regards,
Harold O. Sprague