From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 8:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: steel formdeck as shearwall?

John Jones wrote:

. > The recurrence interval is now about 2500 years under IBC.

What interval does next year bring?

. > I'm not using that unless dictated by law.

Yes, and there was a fire recently in Chicago in which fire sprinklers were
not installed because they were not *required* by the building code.
However, fire sprinklers were not prohibited by law either.  Talk to the
families of the victims and see what they think about things not being
installed because they were not "dictated by law."  See what it will cost
Cook County for compensation to the victims' families and compare that to
what the cost of installing fire sprinklers would have been if they had been
originally installed.

Compare the cost of prudent life safety considerations to the amount of time
and money expended on aesthetic considerations, such as paint color, ceiling
texture, light fixtures, floor covering, etc.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona