Re: steel formdeck as shearwall?

I design all my light gage steel load bearing structures as per 2000 IBC with:

If wind controls, reference Table 2211.1(1) and use 0.018" or 0.027" Steel sheet, one side - OR- Table 2211.1(2) and use gypsum board.

If seismic controls, reference 2211.1(3) and use 0.018" or 0.027" Steel sheet one side.

I have found light gage steel X-bracing to be a waste of time. The field can't get it fastened with the straps tight enough to do any good. I also happened to visit a jobsite once after a worker fell from his ladder. His arm got caught in the top of the X-brace as he was falling, almost severing his arm like a guillotine.

Byron Martin, PE
Silverhill Engineering

"John C. Jones" <john(--nospam--at)struct-engr.com> wrote:
I have a project that will be a 6 story hotel. The Architect wants to use light gauge studs and hollow core planks. I want to use load bearing masonry and hollow core planks. I will likely lose out on my choice. We can't use plywood as shear walls due to combustibility. I have never seen form deck used, but it's roughly the same thickness as plywood and can act as a roof diaphragm. It seems like it would work as a shearwall too. The job is in Birmingham, AL under SBC99, so seismic isn't much of an issue.

Have any of you seen this stuff used for shear walls?

Thanks,

John C. Jones, PE
Barnett Associates
Pell City, AL