RE: steel formdeck as shearwall?

John:

For me, I like sesimic issues.  They interest and intrique me.  It could
be the fact that I was born in California and went through an earthquake
when I was a baby.  Maybe it is just in my "blood" so to speak.  But, then
I also blame being born in California for the reason I am a night owl
(i.e. my "body clock" is set on Pacific Coast time)!!  ;-)

It also helped that I took a PhD level course during my senior year at
Michigan that was titled "Design for Dynamic Forces" which basically
turned out to be a rather practical course that introduced me to the SEAOC
Bluebook, the 1991 NEHRP provisions, and the typical wind load provisions
in the codes.  This kind of made me the seismicly "knowledgable" guy at my
first (and following) job even though I was just out of school.  Since the
1993 BOCA was based upon the 1991 NEHRP, it was "old hat" for me (so to
speak) when I saw it on the job.

Ultimately, there are going to be (if not already) a LOT of engineers that
are in for a rude shock when they start designing per the 2000 (or later)
IBC.  There are a lot of places that used to say "what is seismic?  Isn't
that a Left Coast thing?" that will have to learn about SMRF, dog bone
sections, FEMA 350 and other "serious" seismic "things".

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI (not too far from the location of the Great Quake of
Michigan in 1995...a whopping magnitude 4 or 5)