Re: Special Inspection

In a message dated 10/31/2003 1:29:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, jpersing(--nospam--at)FHOARCH.COM writes:

I guess that's the reason for the UBC requiring an Inspection Program.

Well,  doesn't the UBC only require special inspection for Seismic Performance categories greater than B?

If so,  when someone is out testing concrete on a "B" job,  what is it called?

Concrete testing is standard on almost all jobs, other than someone pouring a new patio.  But in this area, at least,  the concrete inspector often does not speak English.  If they speak English, they are likely a high-school drop out.   They are probably ACI certified,  but I would hate to think I was relying on them to be eyes and ears.  Whether they are contractually obligated to the owner or the engineer,  it seems they are really just testers - they do the test, they write down the numbers.

Post-tensioning is kind of interesting; usually if you have a blow-out,  it is because the tendons were placed with too much of a curvature - this is something an experienced person could probably see if reviewing the tendon layout before the concrete was poured.  Blowouts are never (at least in my experience)  blamed on the inspector, however, the inspector's contract may say something about verifying the tendon layout,  but the only thing they check is number of tendons and profile.

Also,  where else (how else) is concrete testing required by the codes, other than under the list of Special Inspection requirements?

Gail Kelley