Re: Special Inspection

Gail,

UBC Chapter 17 "Special inspection" should not be confused with testing or contractor quality control.  Basically it is a code required extra set of eyes for certain items that the code believes are critical (or "special") for the proper performance of a structure.  It applies to ALL seismic categories.  Actual testing of concrete is given in UBC 1905.6,  "Evaluation and Acceptance of Concrete" which generally follows ACI 301 requirements such as:

UBC 1905.6.1.1  Samples for strength test of each class of concrete place each day shall be taken not less than once a day, or not less than once for each 150 cubic yards of concrete  or not less than once for each 5,000 square feet of surface area for slabs or walls. etc. etc.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com

11/01/2003 06:47 AM