Re: steel formdeck as shearwall?

Mr. Jones,
        For the past year, my DESIGN-BUILD engineering practice has been
focused on the design and testing of a Cold Formed Steel Load Bearing
Steel Deck Shear Wall assembly that can be used for multistory seismic
loads.  We have completed our Phase II testing of the assembly at Brigham
Young University under a cyclic loading protocol.  The ultimate loads of
the assembly reached 4 kips per foot with a drift of 1.5 inches with a 8
foot long 9 foot high shear wall assembly.
         I will be working with several of the west coast steel decking
manufactures to perfect the boundary element connections and continue
with my Phase III testing.  It is my opinion that the benefits of the
noncombustible, cost effective LOAD BEARING STEEL DECK SHEAR WALL
ASSEMBLY will become a great application for multi- floor load bearing
partition designed structures.

Jim L. Chatterley PE
Composite Framing Systems, Inc.
2723 Currier Ave.