Re: Reusing Foundations

Bill,

Where design loads are relatively low (e.g. wood framed, light
construction), you may want to consider hiring a testing firm to evaluate
the foundations.  For substantially less than the cost of replacement you
could have a test agency take several cores for compressive strength tests,
extrapolate these findings with judicious use of the rebound hammer (ASTM
C805-02), map out steel with a pachometer and drill to intercept several
bars to verify sizes, grade, and cover.  New sill connections could be made
with expansion or undercut anchors.

My dos centavos,
Dave Woodham