Re: SE Tests

> Out of curiosity,  when you take the SE I / II / III exams,
> do you get an SE designation?

Yes.  You can officially add the title "SE" to your signature.  However, it
really doesn't mean anything except in the states that recognize the SE
license.

> I was under the (perhaps false) impression that only
> California, Hawaii and Illinois actually had an SE
> designation.  And that it was a necessary thing in
> California and Hawaii, but a um, political issue in Illinois.

I don't know about California and Hawaii, but in Illinois the PE and SE
licenses are complete different (with different seals and everything).  You
take the Civil PE exam for a PE license, and the SE I/II for the SE.  As it
was told to me by an Illinois official, you can't design a drilled pier in
Illinois without an SE license (maybe an exaggeration, but I don't know).

If you want to do both civil and structural design you have to take all
three tests and get registered as both, with two seals.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.