Re: SE Tests

I was under the impression that the SE designation in California and Hawaii came about because of the feeling that additional qualifications were needed for some type of building designs in these states and that this was related to seismicity.  You can design some types of buildings as a PE in California.

I am not sure what is special about Illinois that would require greater qualifications than other states.  I was told (by an Illinois SE) that it came about because there are so many structural engineers in Chicago, and certain design firms wanted a way to distinguish individuals with additional qualifications.

Don't know, don't have any strong opinions, just what I've heard.

Gail Kelley