Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: SE Tests

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
An SE title is only necessary here in CA to do schools, hospitals and
structural systems on buildings over 160 ft. in Los Angeles.

For everything else (which is 90% of construction in CA), you can be a
PE, which requires a Civil Engineering degree, TWO YEARS EXPERIENCE and
an 8 hour (easy, IMO) test. That's all one needs to stamp and sign
drawings in the most seismically active, highest populated, most
litigated state in the union. I understand it's also very easy to get a
contractor's license here.

Of course, things could be worse. I could be trying to justify a lateral
force resistance system (never seen before in the history of the local
contractors) to resist a 2,500 year seismic event in Alabama.


T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA

:-----Original Message-----
:From: Brian M. Spencer [mailto:bspencer(--nospam--at)]
:Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 9:20 AM
:To: seaint(--nospam--at)
:Subject: RE: SE Tests
:How is it a political issue in Illinois?  Any why is it a necessity in
:California and Hawaii?
:Just curious
:Brian M. Spencer
:407 S. Dearborn, Suite 900
:Chicago, IL 60605
:p. 312.341.0055x20
:f. 312.341.9966

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********