RE: SE Tests

An SE title is only necessary here in CA to do schools, hospitals and
structural systems on buildings over 160 ft. in Los Angeles.

For everything else (which is 90% of construction in CA), you can be a
PE, which requires a Civil Engineering degree, TWO YEARS EXPERIENCE and
an 8 hour (easy, IMO) test. That's all one needs to stamp and sign
drawings in the most seismically active, highest populated, most
litigated state in the union. I understand it's also very easy to get a
contractor's license here.

Of course, things could be worse. I could be trying to justify a lateral
force resistance system (never seen before in the history of the local
contractors) to resist a 2,500 year seismic event in Alabama.

Sigh...

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/