RE: SE Tests

Illogical.

You are assuming that "all real professionals would think alike and reach
the same conclusions," and that's just not reality.

Have you never heard of obtaining a "second opinion" from another physician
in the event of a REAL illness? If two doctors of medicine can conceivably
reach different conclusions regarding a physical illness, is it not feasible
that two engineers might have differing opinions as to what is appropriate
to address structural design issues?

But even so, you are also ignoring the fact of state sovereignty. There are
"different requirements" to obtain an S.E. license in these different states
because it is up to EACH STATE to determine what those requirements are.
That is right and proper so long as we agree that oversight of engineering
licensure belongs to the government of the state.

It's like the building code issue. A state (or political subdivision of the
state) can adopt a model building code. Then, they also can waive, alter or
supplement any of the model code provisions to come up with the "real"
building code document, because a "model building code" is ONLY a model. It
is ADVISORY on the part of professionals who think about these things and
want to codify them, but in the end it is up to the government of a state or
locality to make this into law.

Likewise, you have organizations like NCEES that ADVISES the states as to
requirements for engineering licensure. But each individual state has the
sovereign right to implement its own requirements, based on NCEES
suggestions or whatever.

"If I were king," a lot of things would be done differently than they are,
but I have the audacity to recognize that we live in a democratic republic,
made up of sovereign states that have authority ceded them by the people of
those states. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas USA