From: SMO3(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:SMO3(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 8:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SE Tests

I just looked on the California Department of Consumer Affairs web site
(http://www.dca.ca.gov/pels/).  Starting in April 2004 they are not allowing
calculators with communication or text editing capabilities.

They also have the pass rates for the 3 sections for the California Civil
Engineer exam for April 2003 (the most recent).
Principles & Practice (8 hour) - 39%
Surveying - 32%
Seismic - 37%
Assuming no correlation, that means that statistically that a test taker
only has a (.39*.32*.37=) 5% chance of passing all three.  Someone said it
was easy.  Statistics (which is always the best way to lie) says its a
little tougher.

Incidentally, California is getting easy on its SE with 35% passing in
October 2002 compared to 12% in October 2001.

Mike O'Brien, SE