RE: Seals and signatures

Title: RE: Seals and signatures

 As long as we as an industry remain fixated on this issue instead of educating our clients about the value of the work that goes into producing the documents that get signed and sealed (plus all of the other ancillary services provided, i.e. responding to RFI's, CA duties, etc.) then we will continue to have to accept the situation that most of us are faced with, selection/project award based on the lowest fee rather than the best quality of engineering.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Kilgore
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: 11/6/2003 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: Seals and signatures

I once reviewed some wood truss shop drawings, where the "seal" was
signed:
"John B. Lazy by John's Secretary" (names changed, of course).  If he
didn't
actually sign it, who says he even looked at the drawings?

Unfortunately for him, my boss is on the MO registration board.

I also love the wood truss shop drawings where every page of the
calculations is signed and sealed with an identical computer-generated
stamp
and signature.  Again, why do you need the engineer if any technician
can
add an electronic "signature" to the sheets and hit "Print"?

Oh, before I'm mis-understood, I'm IN FAVOR of electronically applied
STAMPS, but not signatures.  I'm also in favor of those states that
require
signatures in different colors (blue or red) so you can tell an original
from a copy.  I do this anyway.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.