Re: Relative Rigidity Calculations?

Dan,

The stiffness k of a diagonal brace is:

k = AE/L cos(squared) theta

so if you have two braces with the same base angle then it would be 2 x k.

One note of caution is that if you plan on adding the chevron brace along the same line with a masonry wall then the horizontal load will be distributed to each resisting system according to their stiffness which means the masonry wall will still attract a lot of the load.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Dan Boltz" <dboltz(--nospam--at)mckinleyassoc.com>

11/07/2003 06:27 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Relative Rigity Calculations?

How is the relative rigidity calculated for a chevron brace?  The building
I'm looking at has masonry shearwalls and a possible chevron brace may be
required in one corner of the building.

What is the best software for calculating the relative rigidities of
shearwalls and braces?  I've been told that RAM Steel will calculate
relative rigidity for just about any lateral system and distribute the
lateral loads accordingly.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan