Re: Steel Joist Designation - 1950's...Not in SJI Manual

Robert Rogers wrote:
I'm trying to help a friend determine the type of joist used in a builidng constructured in the early 1950's in Ohio......a quick glance throught the 50-year joist manual didn't help as the design drawings indicated two types of joists (which I didn't see in the manual).....38' span - Longspan Steel Joist, "Type 226"50' span - Longspan Steel Joist, "Type 288"

I have on old undated CECO joist catalog that lists a Type 226 joist at 22" deep and gives safe unifoprm loads for spans of 33' to 44'.  A Type 288 joist at  28" deep has loads for 45' to 56'.

I will scan the some of the sheets from the catalog and email them to you.
--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA FAEI
a practical architectural engineer

"Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
 Experience is what you get from ignoring it."