Re: CA PE with regards to WA PE

Seth,

The one thing to be at least a little careful is that some state are REAL
sticklers about getting the WHOLE 4 years before you take the PE exam.  I
remeber someone telling about an instance where they got their license in
Minnesota.  The state board let them take the exam with something like 3
years 10 months.  They passed and got their PE license.  Some 10+ years
later, this person needed to get their license by reciprocity in North
Dakota (if I recall correctly), but ND said that this person had to
re-take the PE exam because they did not have the FULL four years of
experience when they took it the first time.

So, if you run into a state licensing board that thinks along those lines,
then taking the PE exam in CA could cause some problems if want
reciprocity.  I would suspect that in most cases it would not be a problem
once you did have your 4 years of experience, but I would likely play it
safe.  While the PE exam is not too terribly difficult, I personally would
rather not have to take it again.

As to your question, I don't really know.  I would assume that you just go
back and take the particular exam that you failed.  This would make sense
as I doubt they will make me take the PE exam again along with the
surveying and seismic exam when I apply.

As to PE review courses, also look to your local NSPE chapters and SEAW.
They might offer PE review courses.  I am pretty sure that SEAW offers
review courses for the Struct exams for the SE license.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI