Re: SICK PROFESSION

Maybe I am missing something,  but is there any other issue to H-1B hiring than a way to get inexpensive workers?

Its a little bit of a sensitive issue because most of us probably have foreign-born friends, or at least colleagues that came to school here and then "somehow"  stayed.  At least the ones I know would have taken any wage to stay; I have seen posts on this board and elsewhere from people who would work for free in order to have a chance to eventually get a green card.  The ones I know do not seem to have student loans to pay off, so all they need to do is be able to rent a room in a basement somewhere to live.

Does this keep the compensation down?  I don't know, I am only really familiar with the DC area, but the starting wage for an engineer would not allow them to rent even a studio apartment in the city ($1000/month for 410 sf).  These apartments are not sitting vacant - someone can afford them.  Most engineers cannot ever afford to buy anything nicer than a poorly built townhouse somewhere that is more than an hour's commute to DC.

Although I am not directly affected by the situation, from the compensation standpoint, I am indirectly affected by having to read work done by individuals who appear to have been hired as inexpensive labor.

And my basic comment is that although they may spell all the words correctly,  they seldom use all of them correctly.  Even those indiviiduals that stay and manage to get green often have very poor English language skills.  Some of it is minor issues - a report for example that says something "surpassed the tolerances".   The verb "surpass" is a good thing.  To be out of tolerance is a bad thing.  So this really makes no sense.

Or a report where someone says they "resigned as of July 1."  This was a German H1-B.  I assumed that he meant he had left his employment as of July 1.  After several hours of checking,  I found out he meant the monitoring program he was evaluating had been discontinued.

So the fact that someone else has decided to use inexpensive labor costs me time.  In other words, it costs me money.  This is a hidden cost,  but it definitely exists.

When there is "miscommunication" because an entry-level design engineer has inadequate language skills and cannot understand plan check comments, it can be quite costly to an owner or developer.  But again,  this cost is usually hidden;  no engineering firm will acknowledge that there was a major screw-up by an H-1B.

Gail Kelley