RE: SICK PROFESSION

Roger, with respect:

This is NOT a very new argument. Benjamin Franklin writing in his
"Pennsylvania Gazette" in the 1730s, decried the terrible effect that the
German immigrants to the American colonies was going to have on the
prevalent English culture:

"Why should the Palatine boors be suffered to swarm into our settlements
and, by herding together, establish their language and manners to the
exclusion of ours?  Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become
a colony of aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us,
instead of our Anglifying them?"

And so it goes, from the time before the U.S. was even in existence, to the
mid 1800s with the "Know-Nothing" nativist movement railing about Irish,
Scottish and (believe it or not) ENGLISH immigration to the Midwest, to the
backlash against southern European immigrants in the late Nineteenth and
early Twentieth Centuries, all the way up to today.

It is a natural fear, that "aliens" are going to "change things." And in
fact, the influx of alien immigrants DOES change things--though usually and
ultimately for the better.

And all the fear of adverse economics is not new, either. In fact,
historically the labor unions have been among the most virulently opposed to
bringing in "cheap labor" from offshore.

I doubt the debate is going to end in our generation, either. Might as well
just have your say and then go on, realizing that this is more than likely a
tempest in a teapot. But it is a debate with a venerable history in the U.S.
of A.

One big difference today, though: Illegal immigration does pose a huge
threat, because it is being used by the political class as a pawn in their
bid for power, but it is becoming a danger to stability of especially state
and local government.

Because we have become a "welfare state" in large part, establishing the
"right of access" to every human necessity on the part of all who apply,
from food, clothing, education, and medical care, to training for employment
and even the franchise, the problem does threaten us in ways that previous
generations would never have imagined.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas USA