Re: CA PE with regards to WA PE

Scott:

It seems petty that those states would act in that manner.  I always thought the 4yrs/2yrs requirement of experience was pretty subjective.  Whose to say my one year of experience might be the equivalent of someone else's 2 yrs of experience.  Plus, I interned at a structural engineering company for two summers plus breaks prior to graduating.  I took my time at school and did 5yrs so I also took some graduate wood classes as an undergraduate.  Plus in WA I would have to work 4yrs before I could take my PE and then another 2yrs to sit for the SE.  So by the time I can sit for the SE I will have 6+ yrs of experience working for an SE.  To me, if 2 of the 4 yrs prior to sitting for the PE are spent working for an SE, it should meet the requirement.  But I'm sure that won't go very far.  WA seems to have a hard time deciding what they really want.  They used to allow the Struct. I test to take the place of the Civil PE test but they changed that about 2yrs ago.  I have mixed feelings about that one.

Plus, I'm not sure what my real incentive is to have the SE.  I could design almost anything except schools and high rise buildings with just the PE.  I would probably do take the exam any ways but there is almost no incentive unless the company requires "highly suggests" it.  I wish insurance companies would start offering incentives to owners to have structural engineers on the design team but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

In terms of the reason to get the PE, it wasn't necessarily for a raise because we don't do much work in CA.  Most of it is in WA, OR, or Alaska with the focus being WA.  I look at the PE as something of an accomplishment to add to my resume.  I currently have my EIT but I also only have an undergraduate degree.  If I do decide to go to a different company, this would allow a little more incentive for a company to look at me.  A lot of places ignored my experience after college because one of their qualifiers, just for an interview, was did you have a masters.  With a PE, they will probably be more likely to look past that.

In terms of going to another state to practice, I like the possibility of going to CA though cost of living would deter me.  I've lived on both the East and West Coast growing up and would probably stick with the West Coast, especially the North West.  The mentality is different and it's a lot less crowded over hear.  :)

Thank you for your comments.

Seth