RE: SICK PROFESSION

The first generation of immigrants very rarely "wants to assimilate into"
the new country's culture. That's just not reality.

It is the second, and (especially) third generations that do assimilate. And
they do so while holding on to what from the "old country" was notable and
beneficial, and abandoning that which was not. That is the way the "melting
pot" has always worked, and the reason that one can say "as American as
Pizza and Chop Suey."

The real threat is not immigration, but ILLEGAL immigration used by the
political class as a bid to gain or retain power, the continuation of the
social-welfare system that serves all comers, and the blight of
"multiculturalism" that insists that NOTHING from the "old country" is
disposable (and we're all racists and bigots for even thinking so).

Personally, I think such "innovations" as serfdom and child servitude are
not "notable" except as blights on human history. And I don't beam with
patronizing approval upon the sight of a woman who, because of religion, is
expected to walk behind her husband (who is clad in jeans and a T-shirt)
while she is wrapped from head to foot like a mummy.

But that's just my opinion, formed by life in the culture in which I was
reared.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas USA