From: Roger Turk [mailto:]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 8:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SICK PROFESSION

I have started to respond to H1b threads on several occasions, but for
one
reason or another decided not to send the response.

Do we forget that this is a nation of immigrants?  All of us, including
the
Native Americans, came from somewhere else.  Maybe our ancestors came
because
they were explorers; maybe they came because this was a land of
opportunity,
maybe they came because they were oppressed in their native country.

I am a second generation American.  My grandparents came to this country
in
the late 1800's from Lithuania, Poland and Germany for the same reasons
that
people before and after have come here.  I welcome people who are
courageous
enough (or oppressed enough) to come to a country whose language is
foreign
and whose customs are strange to make a new life for themselves, their
family, and particularly their children.

No matter how skilled or learned our new immigrants may have been in
their
country of origin, they have to start anew here.  Many have had to take
menial jobs until they learned the language, customs or procedures that
were
all too familiar to them in their native county.  They are willing to
work
for low wages because of the opportunities that await them.

How can we forget that we, who have been born here, have spent more than
20
years learning the English language, yet many of us still are not
competent
in expressing ourselves, cannot spell correctly, use incorrect words and

cannot punctuate or capitalize correctly.  Why do we fault people who
have
only been here a few years for making what may be literal translations
into
English?

I, for one, welcome these newcomers to the USA, the land of opportunity,
and
wish them the greatest success as many of those who have preceded them
have
achieved.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona