From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent:
Monday, November 10, 2003 5:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SICK PROFESSION

Just some opinions - I can only speak for the DC area,  but structural engineers tend to earn must less than other "professional occupations."

Within the structural engineering industry,  there are certain firms that are known for paying very low wages, or not providing very good benefits,  or not providing very good training, or having pretty undesirable working conditions.

Although there are certainly exceptions, it is generally these firms that have to resort to H-1B hiring. Since their wages and benefits (and office cleaning expenses) are lower than other firms, they are often able to underbid other firms, at least on the surface.

I can look at the databases, and knowing what certain offices are like,  I know why they need to hire H-!B personnel. You can create a shortage for any kind of worker, simply by making the work undesirable in some way.

None of the various databases I have seen are very complete (or up to date), but they do point out the trends.

Gail Kelley