RE: SICK PROFESSION

Shafat,

I don’t agree with you on this one. First, the H-1b cap has been extinguished and no longer exists. It was to be doubled, but in the current year, the limit was not reached – yet the database does not negate the existence of Structural Engineers hired with H-1b contracts through 2004.

An H-1b worker can apply for permanent status once he arrives in the United States. Essentially, he does jump over the quotas and he does this by paying for legal representation. The trick is that he must obtain permanent residency (green-card) before his contract gives up and his employer may apply for extensions up to, I believe it has been increased, six years. This is generally within the time it takes to obtain approval of permanent status.

Outsourcing when work is available in the United States my serve companies who seek labor at lower rates but threaten workers wages in this country. Gail Kelley (GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com) said it very eloquently as  has the foresight to see what would happen if our rates were lowered in this country to compete against others. Our debtors would not dismiss or lower our debt as Roosevelt devaluated the dollar in the mid 1940’s). We would either default or be working multiple jobs (and those being hands on positions that can’t be outsourced).

There are problems with the transfer of goods back and forth between companies that produce products in other nations. However, they must find their niche as opening a MacDonald’s or Burger King only perpetuates the global profits of that company for its shareholders. It does nothing for new start-ups that must compete but can’t handle the advertising budges. The same is true of Global Entertainment copyrights. Schwarzenegger is earning residuals in foreign markets wherever his films are shown. Ultimately these siphons off any available financial resources back to the resource holder and in some cases the government (in taxes).

David Fisher signs his posts with the name of a company in the Grand Cayman Island which are known tax shelters that can’t be touched by the United States. I don’t know his reason for this, but if David is avoiding paying taxes in the United States (and I am not suggesting he is) I would be against this as it depletes the cost of government and increases our deficit.

Unlike the man you met from India, there are no job gains in the United States when positions are outsourced. While his acquaintance may not be able to compete with McDonalds or Burger King, these companies offer jobs to those in India willing to work there. They don’t send Americans to do more than get the business off the ground and then they return to the states to let the businesses excel on their own.

Dennis