From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 12:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC 2000 load combinations

Dwain:

I believe you have that a little backwards.  I might be wrong, but I
believe that the alternate load combinations ALLOW the 1/3 increase for
when you then are essentially increasing the wind load by the 1.3 factor.
In otherwords, it seems that you can use the increased allowable stresses
(increased by 33% on one side of the equation) when compared with the load
combinations that increase the wind load (increased by about 30% on the
other side of equation...at least the wind load is).  If you use the
"regular" (i.e. NOT the alternate) load combinations, then the IBC appears
to be doing away with the 1/3 increase with _NO_ 1.3 factor in front of
the wind.

Or if this helps...it appears...

"regular" load cases:

D + (W or 0.7E) + L + (Lsubr or S or R) <= allowable stress (eq 16-10)

equivalent "alternate" load case:

D + L + 1.3W + S/2 <= 4/3 * allowable stress (eq 16-15) [at least for
those materials that permit the 1/3 stress increase]

Again, I could be wrong in my interpretation...so it would give me warm
fuzzies if someone verfied that what I believe makes sense.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI