SICK PROFESSION

OK, Dennis, I hope you've got your asbestos whities on.

You wrote:
  "This employee took the work away from an American Citizen as was
evident in the fact that he is now permanent and is living the American
dream at the expense of another citizen."

Let me point out a couple of things.

First, unless you're carrying a lot of Native American blood, I have a
hard time with an attitude that amounts to "I made it in; quick, close
the door."  We are a nation of immigrants.  My grandparents spoke
Norwegian in their homes as children.  If some guy who speaks Punjab or
Somali wants the same things for his kids as mine have, and has a skill
set to contribute to our society, GREAT.  Only a hypocrite would try
stop him.

Second, our nation has always exploited immigrants for cheap labor.  In
exchange, they got freedom and opportunity.  They didn't resent it; they
fought to come here.  Why should that change just because it affects
someone you know?  What's different about now versus a hundred years
ago?

Third, we have one of the highest standards of living in the world.
Quit whining about how much we're hurt by immigrants.  The whole world
envies us.  Who can blame them for wanting to move here?  If they can
contribute, let them in.

Fourth, I tend to believe Dave Fisher when he says he has a hard time
hiring someone.  When he says he pays this former H1B guy more than
prevailing wage, to me the argument is over.  It doesn't sound like he
took anything at the expense of anyone.  Your argument is that ANY
American citizen should have right of first refusal to any job.
Bullshit.  Qualifications and drive still matter.

Fifth, the labor unions in this country have grabbed way too much power
in way too many cases.  In their sway, competence and ability no longer
matter; just seniority and union dues.  Now they have to compete.  Good.
10 years ago we were moaning and knashing our teeth over the auto
companies and their falling market share.  When they finally figured it
out and got off their butts, they turned it around.  I own a Ford van
that's a piece of junk, and a Toyota Camry that runs great.  I feel no
obligation to buy another Ford, made half as well by guys earning twice
as much.  We can compete; we just don't want to.  Yes, we will see some
bloated corporate profits and some abuses.  You know what happens to
those profits?  Most of them go to stockholders.  Like me.

Last (hold your applause), what effect do you think this employee has on
us?  He is now a tax-paying American consumer.  That means he is
providing jobs for other tax-paying Americans.  He is responsible for
expanding our economy.  Good for him.

OK, flame off.

Mike Hemstad
St. Paul, Minnesota