RE: SICK PROFESSION

Michael-

My opinions to your points:

First Point - I disagree. Just because we did things a certain way a
hundred (or four hundred) years ago, is that justification for doing it
now? I'm not (yet) saying "close the door", but I would like to see
tighter immigration, keeping illegals out (better, much better than now)
and more restrictive immigration laws just because we don't have the
resources we did a hundred years ago. The more people we let in, the
less we have. You probably have an idea of what I think about Davis
giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens. Yes, I'm already here, been
here a long time, but that shouldn't matter. I don't feel guilty for it.
Even the American Indians immigrated here.

Second Point - I agree. Yes, we've exploited cheap labor. All
civilizations have done it. I don't think how we treat unskilled
laborers now is as bad as it was in the past. From what I understand,
the overseas factories we support provide the "locals" with a better way
of life than they would have had if we hadn't gone there, albeit nothing
like what we would call "acceptable" here. Should we look into child
labor and quasi-slavery issues? Absolutely. But we not as bad as some
(labor unions?) would have us believe.

Third Point - I agree and disagree. If an immigrant can come in and
improve MY standard of living, I say let 'em in. If an immigrant lowers
my standard of living, I say keep 'em out. FWIW, the H1Bs I personally
know have improved MY standard of living. They make a LOT of money and
pay a LOT of taxes. This is a Good Thing (tm). But, I wouldn't want to
let in anyone who wanted to move here, just because they have a skill.
We're running out of room and precious resources.

Fourth Point - If I understand it properly, I agree in concept. If
Americans lose jobs because of factories moving overseas, then they
should wake up, smell the coffee and learn another, higher paying trade.
This is akin to the Luddites who revolted against the Industrial
Revolution.

Fifth Point - I agree. No debate.

Last Point - I agree. Again, I have no problem with H1Bs in concept as
long as there are limits on the numbers. I don't even care if they "jump
in front" of the line, because they are exhibiting the entrepreneurial
spirit we seem to attract and thrive on.

In summary, we don't owe anyone, except American citizens, anything. We
should act in our own best interests first and foremost. While my macro
economic skills are pretty weak, I believe that a global economy is a
good thing for us, even though there will be pains to get there.

Just think back to the 70s when Richard Nixon took our currency off of
the gold standard and put it on the world market. Can anyone imagine
that NOT being good for us?

Just my viewpoint.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/