RE: SICK PROFESSION

Because it is not an ideal world, there is a Walgreen's nearby for the
things you need! (isn't this something like how the TV ad goes :>)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 1:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SICK PROFESSION

First, let me point out that I forgot a "not" in the part that you
quoted
from me...it should be between the "are" and "exploiting" toward the end
of the sentance.  Otherwise, I would be advocating that the government
is
there to MAKE sure that companie do exploit people.  Ah, no...

As to the myth notion...sorry, not quite.  While I am sure that many
companies take good care of their workers, here or abroad, there are
definitely companies that cut corners and exploit their workers.  While
such a story may not have all the facts, there was a report on some news
magazine shop (like 60 Minutes or PrimeTime, etc) about the business of
recycling ships/demolishing them.  The story was about how these old
ships
are taken to a location in India, where workers demolish them for scrap
using very low tech tools with little or no safety protections.  There
are
many accidents and deaths there according to this report, but the people
still come because it pays MUCH better than "typical" work.  There are
other examples.

The point is that it is not a myth.  There _ARE_ companies that abuse
the
system and exploit people (both foreign workers and American workers at
home).  Like it or not, there are people who don't care about others and
only care about making money (and power).  Many live here in the US and
many live in other places in the world.  That is why I believe
government
is supposed to be there to try to protect the rest of us from them.
Unfortunately, the government fails to do so many times, sometimes due
lack of effort or mistakes, but also due to complicity.  In an ideal
world, this would not be necessary...everyone would operate with good
ol'
pure capitalistic ways with out taking short cuts and exploiting people.
But, this world is FAR from ideal.

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI