staples vs. nails

I went to a wood shearwall seminar last night, and remembered a thread in
the recent past about allowable loads using staples.

To get lots of code-approved values for nails and staples, go get NES Report
#272, "Power Driven Staples and Nails for Use in All Types of Building
Construction".

http://www.bocai.org/boca-es/pdf/272.pdf

Interesting facts:
 - There are no "standards" covering the penny weight designation.  In fact,
there are dozens of "8d" nails out there with different strengths,
diameters, lengths, and shapes (smooth, twisted, fluted, etc.).  If you want
a specific length and diameter, you have to specify them.

 - The building code values are for "common" or "galvanized box" nails.
"Common" nails are RARE in power-driven fasteners.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
Kansas City, Missouri