RE: ASTM A 36 steel

Gail,

For Wide Flange Steel, you will pay more for A36 or A572 or dual spec (Meets both A36 and A572) than you would for A992 steel.

THIS APPLIES ONLY FOR WIDE FLANGE STEEL SHAPES.

I would venture to guess that most A36 steel, for channels, angles, plates, etc… is Dual Spec…

The issue with A36 for wide flanges was the old Strong Column Weak Beam for moment frames. This meant you would have A572 columns and A36 steel beams. Then Dual Spec came and you were not sure what you were getting because there is no specified limit on the ultimate stress of the steel, only minimum yield stress. So you could have plastic hinges forming in the columns instead of the beams because the Fu of the column was less than the beam’s Fu. SO A992 came along and specified a minimum Fy and a maximum Fu so we have a better idea (more predictable) of how the beam column joints would behave.

I’m not sure how this happened (or if it did) for non-wide flange shapes. As far as I know, A36 is still readily available for solid round bars.

I’m sure (as everyone else is sure) that Charlie Carter will educate us and correct anything wrong I have stated.

Hth

-gm