Re: ASTM A 36 steel

Jason,

This still would not help.  The bolt specification is ASTM F1554 (not A1554) however it is not by itself a material grade but rather a manufacturing specification for grades 36, 55, and 105 ksi yield strengths.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Jason Kilgore" <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com>

11/12/2003 10:14 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: ASTM A 36 steel

> A36 is still commonly used for rolled channels, American
> Standard shapes ("S"), angles, and plates.  I'm also pretty
> sure A36 threaded rod is still available.  Some small
> fabricators still call and say they've never heard of A1556
> rod.  The only shapes where A36 is being phased out are
> wide flange shapes and T's cut from them.  They're still
> available, just getting more expensive.

Oops... I guess they would call if I specified A1556, because that doesn't
exist.  I really meant to say A1554.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.