RE: ASTM A 36 steel

For slabs on ground, aren’t the dowels typically placed in heavily loaded slab construction joints with the intent of allowing ‘unrestrained’ shrinkage on either side of the joint, while maintaining vertical shear transfer?  I’ve used this with a ‘slip’ detail at one end of the rod.  If you don’t use a smooth rod (ie A36) and instead use A615 (deformed) then the ‘slip’ detail would seem to be more difficult to achieve.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 2:49 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: ASTM A 36 steel

Thanks for the replies.

One of my points was that although ACI 360 recommends that dowels be A36 steel,  A615 steel is typically used by the paving industry.

Its not a mission critical element,  probably any ASTM steel would do.

ACI (and other association) recommendations are just that - recommendations.  Sometimes they are good, sometimes they aren't.  Unfortunately,  a lot of times these recommendations morph into specification requirements.

Gail Kelley