From: Dan Boltz [mailto:dboltz(--nospam--at)mckinleyassoc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 1:28 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Shear tranfer from roof diaphragm to shearwalls with eaves?

When pre-engineered wood roof trusses are shown with a 1'6" eave, is
blocking required above the shearwall to transfer the horizontal load
out of
the roof panels/diaphragm?  The eave currently shown has a non-standard
height above the shearwall location so the blocking would have to be cut
the required size.

The standard detail I'm referring to is on page 744 of "Design of Wood
Structures" by Breyer, 3rd Edition.

Also, two of the buildings I'm designing are approximately 40' x 80'
rectangular single story buildings.  I'm being told that I shouldn't
worry
about the horizontal shear and that shearwalls aren't required or the
blocking I'm referring to above!  Am I missing something here?  I know
there
is a lot of redundancy in the wall panels, but I was taught to ensure a
proper load path from the horizontal diaphragms to the vertical shear
elements into the foundation.

Thanks.