From: Bill Allen [mailto:tjcse(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:51 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Paul Fratessa: GOOD RIDDANCE

SICK PROFESSION?  Yes, indeed. But why? There is only whining on this
list
server. The reasons are twofold: Code Confusion & Gatekeeping. A handful
of
structural engineers are responsible, Fratessa being one of them.

There is no reason why there is not one code without conflicts in it, a
code
with parts and embodied references that can be interpreted the same by
any
engineer, building department, or lawyer not just those engineers who
profess to know it all and have the power to make decisions. Just look
at
how silly it all is; UBC, CBC, IBC and now, guess what. Fratessa could
have
used his tenure with the California Sesmic Safety Commission [1986-1995]
and
other opportunities to bring some coherence to the code, but instead
made it
worse. Ever tried to explain to a client how some design came about and
why
they have to pay, pay and pay? No wonder we are a joke profession.

And the SE exam [in California]. Not only was and is Fratessa a part of
the
hoax [when he took the exam he was employed by the office that wrote
it], he
has perpetuated the situation with the excuse that if a CE is not in the

employ [or was, and has paid the necessary homage] of one or more of the

offices that write, check, and grade our home-grown exam each year
he/she
does not deserve the ticket. Less than 100 civil engineers in California
of
a population of 30,000,000 are qualified? Lurkers are certainly laughing
at
the young exam candidates and their eager e-mails, especially those from

states that use an exam that is not available to insiders (and therefore

infinitely bettter), as we have in California. A cancer with no
resolution
other than go to a national exam, which the employing inside traders
will
never permit.

Paul Fratessa may seem to have been benevolent to some ex-Cal Poly
students,
but to those who knew him he was a bigot, a pathological liar, and a
crook.

Regards.

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize