From: Shival Tailor [mailto:stailor(--nospam--at)bertinengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 2:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Slab with Concrete Blocks

Trying to figure out a concrete slab system built around 50 years ago. I can
see
concrete blocks hanging on something made of steel (beams, covered with
concrete
casing) one CMU o.c. Either they are really hanging (being supported by the
steel beam
covered with cement concrete or simply they are there because of the
concrete bond
only. It could be W section or something that I can't figure out. Need to
notch the
section. At a couple of places I could see removed concrete casing and could
clearly
see rusted steel, the steel section looked hollow to me, and at many places
the blocks
have fallen and some of them are in progress of falling down.

I have pictures of the slab. The blocks have started falling down slowly and
gradually. I
can see the deflection in the slab clearly. People, residents of the
apartment complex
have their car parking space under the slab, and walkway + entrance of the
apartments
over the slab. Looks, 25+ or - total span of the beam w/ around 30 + or -
beams.
Couldn't figure out the total thickness of the slab. Must be more than a
block height.
Town building inspector has asked for the structural inspection and approval
from a PE
if this is still safe with this remedy.

Any thoughts ?

Much thanks for your time.