RE: Fibermesh Topping Slab

Brian-

I am by no means an expert on slabs (or anything else for that matter).
However, the only thing I can recall about fiber reinforcing is that it
reduces the spider cracking that occurs when a slab cures too quickly.
It definitely does not replace structural reinforcing nor will it
substitute for temperature and shrinkage reinforcement. It will not
reduce crack widths when (not if) the slab cracks.

If the contractor wants to use fiber reinforcing to use a more
expeditious curing methodology, this might make sense. But, by no means
should fiber reinforcement be a replacement for WWF or other (steel)
structural reinforcement.

I'm sure there are others on this list who know much more about slabs
than I do, but that is my opinion.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/