Re: FEMA 310 Replacement?

Nels,

As the name implies, FEMA 310 is a "Prestandard".  Consider ASCE 31-03 as the "Standard".  FEMA typically performs research, develops methodology, produces prestandards, etc. then hopefully some national type organization will take them over and turn them into something that a code could use or reference directly such as ASCE 7.  This is also similar to FEMA 350/353 which can not be directly referenced by code but in this case AISC has incorporated many of the details into their Seismic Provisions.  If your scope of work specifically says to use FEMA 310 then you may want to discuss this with your client.  I would go with ASCE 31-03 if possible.  Since FEMA 310/ASCE 31-03 are only preliminary seismic check lists to make a first pass on the integrity of the building it is not governed by any code provision nor regulated by your building department.  You are pretty much writing a report that is between you and your client at this stage.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Nels Roselund, SE" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net>

10/02/2003 01:38 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
FEMA 310 Replacement?

I've been asked to evaluate an old building based on FEMA 310, Handbook for
Seismic Evaluation of Buildings -- A Prestandard.  I've recently received an
announcement of new publications from ASCE; it includes SEI/ASCE31-03,
Seismic Evaluation of Existing Buildings.  The announcement states that it
is intended to replace FEMA 310.

What kind of recognition does the SEI/ASCE publication have as the document
to be used in lieu of FEMA 310?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA