Re: Fibermesh Topping Slab

Brian,

Fibermesh (the brand name) is made from synthetic fibers, typically polypropylene and as you have seen generally gets bad press.  You may want to research metal fibers which under certain circumstances may be used in lieu of WWF temperature steel.  I do not have personal experience with this but have seen some interesting studies and of course some good old industry hype.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Brian K. Smith" <smithegr(--nospam--at)bellsouth.net>

10/02/2003 10:02 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Fibermesh Topping Slab

We recently completed the design of a 3 story assisted living center
Construction is pre-cast hollow core with cmu walls.  We specified a 2"
composite topping slab with welded wire fabric.  One of the contractor's VE
options was substitution of fibermesh for the WWF in the topping slab.  Is
this common????  The shear loads are relatively low due to the depth of the
structure and the spacing of the interior walls, but this just seems like a
bad location to use fibermesh.  Any thoughts or experience???  The structure
is in south Florida, high wind but no seismic.

Brian K. Smith

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org