Re: Butt-welding a gap

Michael,

I forgot to add that you probably do NOT want to cool down between passes.  Find out the electrode type and vendor then look on their web site for the data sheet.  You will probably find a minimum interpass temperature as high as 300 degrees F which is considerably higher than the AWS 2002 minimums in Table 3.2.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Michael Bryson" <mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com>

10/02/2003 04:27 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Butt-welding a gap

I am reviewing a welding procedure to "fill-in" a gap for a beam flange
moment connection. The gap is about 2" and it will filled in as a
butt-weld. They are claiming this is a pre-qualified weld (BU-4a-GF),
but I'm not sure that is correct.

I am wondering if some time should be allowed between passes to allow
the weld to cool? I can't find anything in the AWS for this.

(Note the connection is NOT for a seismic application.)

TIA

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org