Re: Butt-welding a gap

Michael, I don't know about the AWS specs but there is a requirement
in the Canadian welding code that says if the gap exceeds 5/8", you
have to build up the end by some means before closing the gap, i.e.
you sould add a piece of steel by full strength weld to the free end
and then do your final weld.  This minimizes shrinkage and attendant
built-up stresses.  As the two codes are similar, I am sure there is
a similar req't in the AWS spec.

Gary Hodgson