From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:spragueho(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 6:30 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Butt-welding a gap

The only "butt joint" prequalified welds are limited to 3/8" thick base
metal for a one sided weld or 5/8" for a 2 sided weld.

The BU-4a-GF weld is unlimited on base metal thickness.  The one thing
that
you do not want to do is to let it cool.  You want to maintain an
elevated
temperature which is predicated on the base metal.  Engineers are often
not
given all of the information that they should be for weld submittals.

I require submittals to specify pre-heat, interpass temperature, root
opening, groove angle, welding process, base metal thickness, and
shielding
(if required).  If it is in the field, I require them to shield the weld
from wind.  I generally require supplemental shielding on FCAW.

I guess being a former iron worker, I remember how I screwed up more
than a
few welds.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague