Re: seaint Digest for 5 Oct 2003

I had a similar problem.
I proposed making the beam slightly skew in plan so
that the beam framed into the column without an
offset.
The EOR accepted this proposal.

You could try it out too.

The alternative is messy.
Butt weld one more W12x72 column about 2' long to the
existing W12x72 column like this in the plan

II

Provide a top and bottom sealing cap plate.
You will now locally have a wide flange which
accommodates this offset.
Then proceed with the usual moment connection detail.
I don't like this connection but it may work.
The academicians will frown.
But your contractor will smile.
Do take the precaution to get it approved before
proceeding.
I would like to hear from others too if there are
better suggestions.
Do let us know what you finally did.

Regards
G Vishwanath