Re: Offset Moment Connection

If the original design had the beam aligned on the
column centerline then that's one thing (with regards
to developing a full moment connection between the
beam and column), but if the engineer moved the beam
off-center from the column during the shop drawing
review, I would say all bets are off with regards to
being able to (easily) provide a full moment
connection to the column. I'd suggest calling the SOR
and discussing this with him/her. Once they are made
aware of what happened (the beam location being offset
during shop drawing review), I'm sure they'll agree
that if they expect a full moment connection at the
end of W21 they have to provide the fabricator and
detailer with some additional details to show them
what is expected. At a minimum such an offset moment
connection is going to involve some additional
stiffener plates and bracing steel to prevent things
from twisting. (If I was a fabricator, this would be a
change order.)

Cliff Schwinger