RE: Subject: Offset Moment Connection

It is a matter of numbers.  First, A W12x72 column cannot resist the
full moment of a W12x57 beam.  My first course of action would be to
request the actual end moment in the beam.  As long as there is no
opposing beam for the moment to transfer to, the moment must be equal to
or less than the moment capacity of the column.

With the actual moment, you will have to analyze the column for three
capacity of the column, the effect of the torsion will likely be to
overstress the toe of one flange.  I would submit the calculation
showing the overstress and ask the SOR for his solution.

It is likely that the column or beam will move to centerline, or the
column wil require extensive reinforcement.

Donald R. Bryant, PE
Structural Integrity
518 Bushnell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA  23451