RE: Thickened Floor Slabs

Have you checked the out-of-plane Fp forces per linear foot of the wall.
Can the wall vertical reinforcing be developed in 6in thick slab.

You will find a prudent solution for the subject question.

Regards,
Nitin

minimum

>>> sfaiz(--nospam--at)saudioger.com 10/07/03 09:11AM >>>
Unger:

The wall loadings are essentially a line load concentrated only with
respect to its width. This loading normally produces tension on the
bottom of the slab. The tensile stress per se will control the
concrete's thickness for a constant thickness slab.

Like you said you checked its thickness, for the given wall loads based
on and to satisfy the punching shear stress, and found it to be ok. My
opinion, based on experience with such a case, is it may be
theoretically ok but the slab is quite thin. The wall is 6-in thick and
14-ft high; this makes quite a considerable linear load. It would be
prudent to thicken the slab by following the "classical details" to
avoid any problem in future.

Regards,

Syed Faiz Ahmad; MEngg, M.ASCE
Senior Structural Engineer