Re: Rebar breaking

Michael,

Have you checked the bend diameter?

On one of my projects a number of years ago, I was out at the jobsite and
noticed that two different size hooks were in the footing reinforcing.  (I
like to put 180 deg. hooks in reinforcing in footings, particularly in large
footings.)  This was in the time period when Grade 40 and Grade 60 were bent
around different size pins and these were #10 (1.27" dia.) Grade 60 bars.  It
turned out that when they unloaded the reinforcing from the truck in the
"gentle" manner typical of unloading, the hooks on some of the bars broke off
and the broken bars were quickly reloaded and taken off the site.  Because
the fabricator did not have replacement #10 bars, he ordered the bars from an
out-of-town fabricator who used the correct size pin, hence the two different
size hooks in the footing.

I has probably happened on some of my other projects, but this was the only
one that I am aware of.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael L. Hemstad wrote:

. > I have a project under construction using drilled pier foundations.
. > Each pier has 6-#7 bars with 90 degree hooks, projecting from the top.

. > A backhoe working around the piers snags the hooks, and they break.
. > They apparently don't bend and deform; they just snap off in the middle
. > of the bend. They have broken perhaps 15 hooks so far.  I've never seen
. > this happen, and suddenly it's happening a lot.  Call me a worrier, but
. > I don't like it.

. > I am in the process of obtaining mill certs, and am considering material
. > tests.

. > Is this problem seen often, and is there an identifiable cause?  Does
. > anyone have any recommendations as to testing of the rebar?

. > Thanks for any help or advice.

. > Mike Hemstad, P.E.
. > TKDA